Job Title: Senior Counsel, Regulatory Compliance
Location: Sunbury or London UK
This role is part of the regulatory compliance team that manages the high-risk legal areas of anti-bribery and corruption (ABC) and anti-money laundering (AML) for BP businesses around the world, and has a particular focus on Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Russia, and other parts of Asia. The role ensures that key stakeholders are aware of and proactively managing ABC/AML risks under U.K., U.S., and other laws, and provides hands-on leadership for investigations in these areas.
The role requires the confidence, energy, and experience necessary to lead with minimal supervision, and the interpersonal skills to thrive in a collaborative environment alongside other lawyers, businesspeople, ethics and compliance professionals, investigators, and other functional teams (e.g., procurement, audit). The successful candidate should enjoy a fast-paced, diverse, and heavy workload, and will have proven skills in the areas of leadership, project management, and investigations.
The role will interface with members of senior management, and regulatory / enforcement officials in the U.K. and other countries where BP does business. The successful candidate may be based at BP’s locations in Sunbury or London (Canada Square). The ability to occasionally travel to locations throughout the world is necessary.
This role is accountable for:
• Partnering with businesspeople at all levels to offer pragmatic advice and solutions for managing ABC/AML risks, and to influence them to dedicate appropriate resources;
• Providing hands-on leadership and practical guidance for internal investigations regarding ABC/AML and related issues;
• Developing consistent and credible strategies to assess and manage ABC/AML risks, and working collaboratively across stakeholder networks in BP to implement them;
• Continuously improving policies, procedures, tools, training, and other resources for managing ABC/AML risk; • Providing practical advice on day-to-day ABC/AML compliance questions;
• Leading a 200+ member global compliance team of lawyers, ethics and compliance professionals, and businesspeople that manage ABC/AML risks throughout BP, whilst building and enhancing individual and organizational capability and supporting a learning culture;
• Setting a proactive, external-facing agenda to manage relationships with U.K. regulators (e.g., SFO, FSA, HM Treasury) on ABC, AML, and other white collar matters, ensuring BP’s interests are vigorously represented in key industry litigation or legal positions, rulemakings, and legislative activities;
• Managing regulatory enforcement investigations and proceedings, and disputes with governmental and private parties;
• Interpreting and analysing current and proposed laws/regulations;
• Working closely with senior businesspeople as a trusted advisor, whilst maintaining professional independence and judgment.
Qualified solicitor or barrister and significant experience as a practising lawyer.
Essential experience and job requirements
The successful candidate should have substantial experience:
• In ABC matters and compliance-related advice under the U.K. Bribery Act and U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; • In AML matters and compliance-related advice under the U.K. Proceeds of Crime Act;
• Leading internal investigations and conducting/managing external investigations regarding ABC/AML matters; experience interfacing with regulators and familiarity with the expectations and inner workings of regulatory agencies is critical;
• Managing judicial or administrative disputes with regulators and private parties;
• Strategically assessing ABC/AML risks, advising on the continuous improvement of compliance programmes, and building related tools to do so; and
• Working as a private practise, government, or in-house lawyer.
The successful candidate should have:
• A proven track record of triaging competing priorities and effectively managing internal and external resources;
• Strong interpersonal, advocacy, collaborative, and other communication skills, and the ability to act as a trusted adviser;
• Energy and enthusiasm necessary to identify and develop projects from inception, and see them through to completion;
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of different countries and cultures, and ability to engage and respect the diverse contributions of teams, partners, and networks; Candidates with less experience may be considered to remain at their current job level.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Although not required, other desirable qualifications include:
• Working knowledge of the energy industry;
• Direct experience working as a lawyer focussed on ABC/AML issues within a large corporate environment;
• Experience with U.S. AML laws;
• Experience with data privacy laws applicable to a U.K. company with a global footprint;
• Experience with other major regulatory compliance risks facing a U.K. company with a global footprint (e.g., international trade regulations, competition laws).
Yes – up to 10%
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The purpose of the Legal function is to provide legal services to the Group in order to further the maximisation of business opportunities and value and the minimisation of business risks and liabilities.
BP Legal lawyers and support staff work closely with their colleagues in the Businesses, Regions and Functions to deliver exceptional results in transactions, disputes and issues management.
Building on its existing strength, BP Legal has developed its strategic priorities, in line with the Group Strategy, to achieve its vision and address present and foreseeable challenges.