Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner said in a TV ad he bought that he’ll reveal corruption in global soccer and the government of his native Trinidad and Tobago.
Warner, 72, was one of 14 FIFA officials and business executives the U.S. Justice Department indicted last week in a $150 million corruption scandal.
Warner apologized for not making an earlier disclosure. He said he now fears for his life.
He said documents and checks he has prove a corrupt link between FIFA and Trinidad and Tobago. The documents implicate Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s president since 1998, Warner said.
Blatter, 79, resigned from FIFA on Tuesday. He hasn’t been charged in the case.
This week Interpol issued a Red Notice for Warner and five other defendants charged in the FIFA case, calling on member countries to arrest and extradite them.
Two of Warner’s sons were among four defendants who have pleaded guilty in the U.S. case. The guilty pleas were unsealed in court last week.
Daryll Warner, a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty in July 2013 to a two-count criminal information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions.
In October 2013, Daryan Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, and the structuring of financial transactions. He forfeited over $1.1 million around the time of his plea.
(U.S. law prohibits structuring currency transactions to evade federal reporting requirements.)
Another defendant who pleaded guilty in 2013 was American Charles “Chuck” Blazer, a former member of FIFA’s executive committee. He admitted taking a bribe in exchange for votes to award the World Cup to South Africa in 2010.
Here’s Warner’s TV address:
Richard L. Cassin is the publisher and editor of the FCPA Blog. He can be contacted here.