Job Title: Associate General Counsel, Director Ethics & Compliance-Americas
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Responsible for development of a positive culture of ethics and compliance and the overall implementation, management and continuous improvement of the company’s global Ethics & Compliance Program (“Program”) in the North America and Latin America region (“Region”). This individual assesses compliance risks and needs; develops compliance policies and processes; develops and delivers compliance training; monitors compliance processes; conducts ethics and compliance investigations; provides guidance to business teams on compliance-related matters; promotes a strong ethics and compliance culture; supports and implements global compliance initiatives in the Region; and contributes to the further development of the Ethics & Compliance Program globally. In addition this position serves as the global lead/subject matter expert on one or more global compliance topics or functions such as investigations, anti-corruption compliance or data privacy. This position reports to the Vice-President, Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer and is a part of Avnet’s global Ethics & Compliance Office.
Apply for this position here.
- Provide strategic leadership in the deployment of the Program in the Region.
- Develop, distribute and/or deliver effective training and communications in support of the Program, including language localizations as appropriate.
- Actively promote employee awareness of the Program.
- Oversee, manage and further develop the company’s Anti-Corruption Compliance Program in the Region—including delivery of training and communications, implementation of enhanced compliance controls, and ongoing oversight of third party compliance controls.
- Report to and support the Corporate and/or Regional Ethics & Compliance Committee in accordance with the Committee charter documents and Program requirements.
- Keep the Region’s executive leadership informed on key initiatives and developments in the Program.
- Oversee management and tracking of Ethics Alertline matters in the Region.
- Conduct compliance and ethics related investigations, inspections and audits as assigned, including highly visible, notable investigations.
- Coordinate and manage outside counsel in investigations and government inquiries into the company’s activities.
- Assist in implementing global security initiatives in the Region as needed.
- Periodically assess the Program or components of the Program in the Region and partner with local business teams to develop and implement appropriate recommendations.
- Manage and further develop the network of Code of Conduct Advisors in the Region through training, communications and other appropriate support.
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders—e.g., HR, Legal, Audit, Finance, Supply Chain, and other business functions—to identify, mitigate and resolve ethics and compliance matters.
- Lead cross-functional project teams as needed to implement compliance initiatives and operationalize compliance functions effectively.
- Build the company’s external reputation relating to Avnet’s commitment to a culture of compliance, maintaining appropriate visibility and involvement in the Region’s ethics and compliance community.
- Work continuously to improve training, policies and processes to keep the Program both relevant and effective.
- Perform other tasks as assigned or required to help ensure an effective Program both in the Region and globally.
Job Level Specifications:
- Produce quality work product that reflects the key legal issues at stake. Provide effective and efficient service to internal clients in a timely and strategic manner. Excellent written and verbal skills, analytical and critical thinking abilities, communication/presentation skills and negotiation skills.
- Depending upon jurisdiction, may require fluency in one or more languages in addition to English
- Demonstrated adherence to high standards of integrity and professional conduct. Maintain a positive attitude, show maturity and emotional stability, and be flexible to new ideas. Adapt to new demands. Respond appropriately to potentially stressful situations. Build positive and productive relationships with clients by understanding the business and providing advice in a way that builds trust and collaboration.
- Typically requires a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Experience managing others preferred not required
Education and Certification(s):
- Advanced university degree in law (e.g., J.D. or LL.M. in US, LL.D, LL.B or LL.M outside U.S.) from accredited school
- Must possess active license to practice law in location where based or otherwise qualify to lawfully serve as in-house counsel in location where based
- J.D. and admission to practice in at least one U.S. state bar.
- Minimum of 8 years of legal, corporate compliance or similar experience in the Region—North America & Latin America.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct or supervise complex internal investigations and liaise with government enforcement agencies.
- Familiarity with anti-corruption compliance laws and controls is required; experience with data privacy compliance is a plus.
- Strong sense of integrity and the ability to balance business interests with the need to exercise independent judgment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate and relate at all levels of the company.
- Strong diplomatic skills, patience, and the proven ability to find creative, business-friendly solutions.
- Strong people and customer service skills.
- Excellent project management and process improvement skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a large, geographically and culturally diverse system.
- Fluency and proficiency in English is required. Proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is strongly preferred.
Additional compliance certifications a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills.
* * *
Avnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy of non-discrimination also applies to religious dress and grooming practices. Avnet will accommodate employee religious dress standards and grooming practices that do not result in undue hardship for the Company.
Apply for this position here.
If you are interested in applying for employment with Avnet and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position contact our Recruiting Department at (800) 882-8638, option 4 then option 3.