Associate Counsel — Compliance
Requisition# 3653 (All resumes and inquiries must go to [email protected])
The Associate Counsel – Compliance, will join a Legal Compliance team consisting of a Sr. Paralegal and provide assistance to the Sr. Counsel – Compliance. The incumbent will have the opportunity to work with other Counsel members and Paralegals in connection with compliance matters. This position is responsible for corporate-wide coordination and administration of compliance related activities. These activities include research and investigative procedures, acting as the liaison between business unit financial operations and the Legal Compliance function, coordinating contracting functions, researching and implementing federal, state and foreign regulatory requirements, and implementing and maintaining privacy and security initiatives. This job demands the highest level of confidentiality.
- Enhance the compliance program by providing subject matter expertise into the design of key global policies and procedures, communication strategies, employee training and key compliance-related controls.
- Participate in developing compliance training programs and assist in the design and implementation and monitoring of compliance policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance on legal compliance matters.
- Provide routine approvals for transactions under the company’s Sanctions and Anti-Corruption policies.
- Stay abreast of statutory and legislative developments with respect to key compliance areas and support the necessary tasks to accomplish the implementation of legislative, legal or compliance requirements (e.g. implementation of compliance related internal controls as a result of changes in OFAC regulations).
- Conduct due diligence on third parties, agents & consultants in accordance with the company policies. Supervise the Sr. Paralegal on routine due diligence-related activities. Conduct periodic review and assessment of red flags and other issues.
- Collaborate with other departments to enhance the compliance program through periodic monitoring and assessment of compliance processes that are in place.
- Conduct internal investigations in conjunction with Internal Audit.
- Manage the Compliance Hotline and the response to suspected violations of the Code of Conduct or other compliance policies.
- Develop a central repository for corporate-wide compliance and code of conduct requirements for:
- Compliance policies & procedures
- Internal Controls
- Forms and other documentation for disclosure of Conflict of Interest
- Other records related to Compliance and Code of Conduct
- Provide support for the AGC of Compliance, Regional Legal Directors, Internal Audit and other company divisions or functions as appropriate.
- 5-7 years’ experience working as an associate within a regulatory compliance practice group of large or mid-sized law firm; or equivalent experience working as in-house counsel handling Compliance related matters in a Fortune 500 company. Ideally, this individual will have a combination of both top-tier law firm and in-house experience
- Juris Doctor from an American Bar Association approved Law School required
- Knowledge of U.S. Federal Sentencing Guidelines, global anti-bribery and anti-corruption laws (e.g., FCPA, UKBA, OECD Convention), trade regulations and sanctions (OFAC), antitrust and competition laws
- Experience in conducting internal investigations and implementing compliance programs
- Proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- At ease working in a multicultural environment and able to interact effectively with individuals at all levels in the organization
- Professional presence and absolute integrity
- Exceptional leadership and organization skills
- Proactive approach to compliance
- Able to quickly gain the confidence and respect of others, particularly senior management – credibility and trust are critical
- Self-assured and intellectually honest
- Able to identify and resolve issues effectively and make on-the-spot risk calls, even when unpopular or faced with internal business pressure
- Able to quickly grasp WFS’s complex business and its many elements
All applicants must apply and upload their resume directly onto the careers site here.