The England and Wales Cricket Board imposed a life ban on former New Zealand cricketer Lou Vincent Tuesday, following the player’s admission that he was a “cheat” and had shamed his country and the sport by fixing matches.
Vincent pleaded guilty to 18 breaches of the board’s anti-corruption regulations in three matches in England. He accepted a ban from playing or coaching in any form of recognized cricket, Reuters reported.
In a statement to local media earlier Tuesday, Vincent said: “My name is Lou Vincent, and I am a cheat. I have abused my position as a professional sportsman on a number of occasions by choosing to accept money through fixing.”
He said he had lived with this “dark secret” for many years before deciding to come forward and tell the truth. In his confession, he also said he’d “accept any punishment” handed down.
Vincent had been cooperating with the International Cricket Council’s anti-corruption and security unit. The ICC investigated alleged match-fixing involving 12 matches in at least four countries.
He hadn’t spoken publicly about his involvement until this week.
Vincent was one of several top cricket players who faced bribery allegations in May for rigging games in two English county matches.
Neither the ICC nor New Zealand Cricket have named the other suspects.
ICC chief executive David Richardson endorsed the ban and said he hoped it would send a “loud and clear message” to those who would consider such corruption within the sport.
“These unscrupulous corruptors and small group of greedy individuals should not be permitted to destroy the game for the overwhelming majority who play the game as they should, and the fans across the world,” Richardson said.
Julie DiMauro is the executive editor of FCPA Blog and can be reached here.