The Global Fund is an international financing institution that fights AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria with a 21st century approach: partnership, transparency, constant learning and results-based funding.
As a result of the diversity of interests and perspectives represented by the Global Fund’s stakeholders, it is of particular importance for the organization to operate in a balanced, ethical, collaborative, transparent and open manner.
As a reflection of this principle, the Global Fund’s Board Chair and Vice-Chair have committed to the development of the full and comprehensive integration of ethical principles in the functioning of the Global Fund, including the Board.
Global Fund is seeking an expert consultant to the support the Board Leadership’s ethics initiative. Reporting to a Steering Committee composed of members of the Board, its Committees and executive management, the consultant will be expected to:
Initial Stage Responsibilities (From June to November 2014):
- facilitate Board discussion of and agreement upon key elements of an overarching ethics and values policy, applicable to all stakeholders on a global basis, through Board retreats, Board constituency consultations or other means;
- facilitate Board discussion of and agreement upon key elements of a Code of Conduct for governance officials, through Board retreats, Board constituency consultations or other means;
- carry out a detailed review of existing ethics and integrity related policies and codes and recommend general areas for alignment/improvement;
- advise the Legal & Compliance Department in its drafting of and revision to policies and codes as a consequence of Board and Secretariat decisions associated with the ethics initiative;
- produce presentations as requested for the Board, AEC and Steering Committee; and
- perform other tasks as requested by the Global Fund.
Second Stage Responsibilities:
- advise the Steering Committee on organizational features that could strengthen the integration of ethics and integrity within Global Fund operations;
- develop tools for embedding ethics into operations specific to the Global Fund’s operating model, including communications strategies for Global Fund staff and governance officials;
- develop ethics training programs and communications strategies for Global Fund staff and governance officials; and develop tools for assessing and managing ethical risks specific to the Global Fund.
Eligible candidates must have:
- an advanced degree in ethics, law, business administration, corporate governance, or other related fields;
- at least ten years of experience in the areas of organizational ethics, conflict of interest, corporate responsibility and/or corporate governance;
- a proven track record of creating and implementing ethics compliance programs in complex environments;
a demonstrated ability to formulate independent judgment in complex and sensitive cases;
- demonstrated experience in advising sophisticated organizations on ethics-related issues at the Board and executive management levels;
- demonstrated experience in advising international organizations and for-profit entities in the areas of leadership, ethical values and organizational culture;
- a proven record of unquestioned competence, independence and integrity;
- availability and ability to spend a substantial amount of time in Geneva, Switzerland to support the Board, AEC, Steering Committee and Secretariat (e.g., it may be necessary for approximately half of the consultant’s time for this engagement to be spent in Geneva); and
- fluency in written and spoken English, with a working knowledge of French desirable.
Conditions of Engagement
The consultancy is for a period of twelve months, unless otherwise terminated by the Global Fund, and may be extended at the discretion of the Global Fund for up to twelve additional months. It is expected that the weekly level of effort for this activity will fluctuate over the course of the engagement, but will cumulatively average approximately three days per week and will in total amount to approximately 150 days for the entire twelve-month term.
The consultant will be expected to spend a substantial amount of the overall level of effort for this engagement at the Global Fund’s headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland (e.g., approximately 75 work days during the entire twelve month term may be spent in Geneva).
The position is not a Global Fund staff member position. The position is remunerated at a fixed rate per day.
How to Apply
Interested individuals are encouraged to apply through the full Request for Expressions of Interest for this position (No. TGF-14-031), located on the Global Fund’s website here.